Oremus: A Treasury of Latin Prayers with English Translations (Paperback)
Oremus allows Catholics to experience anew--or for the first time--the beauty and rich spiritual heritage of the language used for almost two-thousand years in the scriptures, liturgy, and prayers of the Church. Traditional Latin prayers such as the Ave Maria, Sancte Michael, and Tantum Ergo are presented side-by-side with their literal English translations in this extraordinary collection.
Pope Francis's Twitter account in Latin has grown from 100,000 followers in 2013 to more than almost a million in 2020; and there is a growing interest by Catholics to learn traditional prayers in Latin.
Oremus is a collection of cherished prayers in Latin--the exact words prayed by many of the saints over the centuries--including:
- The prayers of the Rosary--Pater Noster, Gloria Patri, and Salve Regina;
- Prayers for Eucharistic Adoration--O Salutaris, Laudes Divinae, and Anima Christi;
- Prayers for morning, evening, and night--Benedictus, Magnificat, Nunc Dimittis;
- Favorite psalms and Gospel Sequences;
- Prayers used by St. Louis de Montfort in his preparation for Total Consecration to Mary--Veni Creator and Ave Maris Stella; and
- Prayers of and to saints--Te Deum and Suscipe.
Oremus includes an introduction, ecclesiastical Latin pronunciation guide, index, and accent markings throughout the text. It can be used as a prayer book for individuals, classrooms, families, and small groups.