The Mamur Zapt & the Return of the Carpet (Mamur Zapt Mysteries #1) (Paperback)
Email or call for price.
Other Books in Series
This is book number 1 in the Mamur Zapt Mysteries series.
- #2: The Night of the Dog (Mamur Zapt Mysteries #2) (Paperback): $18.99
- #3: The Donkey-Vous (Mamur Zapt Mysteries #3) (Paperback): $18.99
- #4: The Men Behind (Mamur Zapt Mysteries #4) (Paperback): $18.99
- #7: The Camel of Destruction (Mamur Zapt Mysteries #7) (Paperback): $18.99
- #8: The Snake Catcher's Daughter (Mamur Zapt Mysteries #8) (Paperback): $14.95
- #16: The Mark of the Pasha (Mamur Zapt Mysteries #16) (Large Print / Paperback): $22.99
- #17: The Bride Box: A Mystery Series Set in Egypt at the Start of the 20th Century (Mamur Zapt Mystery #17) (Hardcover): $32.95
- #18: The Mouth of the Crocodile (Mamur Zapt Mystery #18) (Paperback): $17.95
- #19: The Women of the Souk (Mamur Zapt Mystery #19) (Paperback): $17.95
The Mamur Zapt, head of Cairo's CID in the heyday of (the indirect) British rule, focused on political, not police, matters. With the bustling new century, the loosening of imperial ties, and the rise of nationalism, his was a busy office. The attempted assassination of a veteran politician raises the spectre of a major terrorist statement at the capital's principal religious festival where the faithful celebrate the Return of the Holy Carpet from Mecca.
Easily navigating multiple nationalities, three principal languages, and four competing legal systems, not to mention the intricacies of shadow and actual governments, Captain Owen, the Welsh incumbent, bolsters the Mamur Zapt's office with the aid of a host of memorable characters.
About the Author
Michael Pearce grew up in the (then) Anglo-Egyptian Sudan among the political and other tensions he draws on for his books. He returned there later to teach and retains a human rights interest in the area. His career has followed the standard academic rake's progress from teaching to writing to administration. He finds international politics a pallid imitation of academic ones.